[GTALUG] [offtopic] Opinions on Freedom Mobile, please

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 23:09:11 EDT 2023

Hi all.

I was more than a little ticked off to discover that Telus has no plans to
offer 5G to its mid-brand Koodo customers, even though its flagship Telus
and low-end Public Mobile brands already have it.

Now that Freedom Mobile is owned by Videotron, perhaps Canada's least-awful
telco, I had another look. They have a 5G plan for the same money that I'm
paying Koodo for 4G with 10GB more per month. Furthermore Freedom is the
only telco usable in the Toronto subway, with service in all stations and
two Line-1 tunnel sections (Vaughan to Wilson and St.George to Yonge/Bloor).

Pretty well everywhere I usually go these days is within Freedom's 5G
coverage area. with 4G elsewhere (including the non-Freedom "nationwide"
network coverage). I don't care about international roaming, I have a
different SIM for that. And as it turns out the cell tower closest to my
home is a Freedom one.

Still, I have a few concerns. Reviews for Freedom on Trustpilot are
plentiful and almost universally vicious. So long as everything Just Works
my customer service interactions tend to be limited to initial setup.

Does anyone here have any real-life data points to offer? Thanks!

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56