[GTALUG] Cheap small computers [was Re: DECTalk TTS in source for Linux]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Apr 26 15:16:49 EDT 2023

| From: Stewart Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM Ansar Mohammed via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| wrote:
|
| > https://www.ebay.ca/itm/292442306475
| >
| > $20/unit with shipping

Interesting.

The listing says US$84.94 + US43.97 shipping.  A little more that
$200.  Much worse that two M93p units!

But I know that one can stumble on much better deals for these.
You've got to know what you are buying too.

| That's got a VIA C7 inside. It's a very slow 32-bit processor that was
| superseded 15 years ago.

This one is described here.  It is the best one listed on this page.
<https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/cx0/>

I don't remember for sure, but I think that the C7 is missing some
instructions that current kernels require.  CMOV?  I might be wrong:
it could be that most distros compile kernels this way but that the C7
is still supported upstream

Is the video controller supported by X or Wayland?

No USB 3.x

1G of RAM is tight these days.
2G of flash isn't enough for anything I'd want to run locally.