[GTALUG] wireless to ethernet adapter suggestions?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Apr 14 17:15:58 EDT 2023

| From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I believe the source calls, or called them wall outlet Ethernet kits.

That's not a reasonable name.  I have wall outlets for ethernet that are
just plates with ethernet cables connected behind them.  The ethernet runs
to a patch panel in my basement.

Ethernet has to be carried by something.

- normally an ethernet cable that is a refined version of ordinary phone
  cable.  A current standard is called "CAT 6"

- it can be carried by radio waves, like WiFi

- it can be carried on an optical fiber.

- it can be carried with CATV co-ax cable (Rogers).

- it can be carried over power lines.

This last one is convenient because it piggy-backs on existing electrical
power wiring in your house.  This signal is blocked by transformers so it
probably leaks out of your house but not your neighbourhood.

My guess remains that the pair of units you have is for transmission over
power lines.  If you cannot easily give a model number, could you say what
connectors each unit has?  I'm guessing:

- a two or three prong plug to go into a power socket

- an ethernet socket

- perhaps an antenna for WiFi.