[GTALUG] Canadian hosting?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 08:40:36 EDT 2023

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 at 15:16, Alex Kink via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Digital Ocean, Vultr, OVHcloud have data centres in Toronto or Montreal.
>
> > On Apr 10, 2023, at 15:14, Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >
> > I know that Akamai Cloud (formerly Linode) has dedicated root Linux servers in Toronto, but is there anyone else non-terrible*? There's a potential client who absolutely must have all data and processing hosted in Canada. I realize there's probably a 3x (or more) premium for in-country hosting.
> >
> > Any suggestions/caveats greatly appreciated.

I second the Digital Ocean suggestion: I use them heavily both at work
and personally (gilesorr.com mentioned in my email signature is hosted
there), with all machines in their Toronto data centre.  We've used
them for approximately seven years (the Toronto presence is only about
five years old), and they've been excellent.  I think we should point
out one caveat: D.O. is American-owned.  Although if you were
considering Akamai/Linode, I guess that's okay.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com