[GTALUG] Cannot get a network in Linux (Ubuntu) after using Windows 10

Aurelian Melinte ame01 at gmx.net
Sat Dec 17 16:17:41 EST 2022

On 17/12/2022 15:22, BCLUG via talk wrote:
> sciguy via talk wrote on 2022-12-17 12:14:
>
>> When I say I can't get a network, I mean that my Linux OS can't see
>> any external hardware, including the router. And of course, I can't
>> get the Internet.
>>
>> When in W10 (as I am now), I checked the router "config pages" and I
>> noticed that it has two different IP addresses - one to the W10
>> hostname and one the Linux hostname, on the same machine.
>>
>> Any ideas? d of
>
> Sounds like Windows & Linux are using different host names as part of
> their dhcp client requests, I suspect. Hence the different IP addrs.
>

> Is there any IP bound to the NIC in Linux?

Kind of normal, probably your DHCP server tracks something about de
identity of the leasee (I cannot comment much as I do not know much
about the setup; but I see this duality often for dual boot systems)

Another thing to pay attention to is routing. Linux is a weak host
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_model), unlike (most of the)
Windows. If your Linux has multiple NICs on the same subnet, you will
notice it.