[GTALUG] question re: bug filing

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 00:38:59 EST 2021

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 5:13 PM Dhaval Giani <dhaval.giani at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 3:04 PM o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> > I also imagine you are paying the debian volunteers for their time to
> > help you with a bug you are hitting. You are joining a community, and
> > it would be great to respect the rules and processes that community
> > follows. Seriously, this is a volunteer effort people are involved in.
> >
> There are a lot of these 'official' volunteers that are working day jobs that
> strangely are very very like their volunteer interests.

That still doesn't explain why you feel entitled to free support.
Someone is paying them to do specific things in the distro. The fact
that the interests align is just a happy coincidence. I am sure if you
were to provide enough incentive, someone's interests will align with
yours.

> When I was beating my head against the wall for over 2 months when I
> first set up this system the amount of information available or offered to
> me was close enough to zero so as to make it a moot point for open source
> support.
> In the years since I've found that most coder types really don't get into
> screen real estate - - - - in fact some serious programmers were still using
> 19" monitors (within the last year) where I had moved to a 1600x1200 crt
> some 20 years ago.
> Horses for courses except I've far too often found my screen real estate
> far too confining when I'm working on something complicated. All of what
> I've found only reinforces the point that what I'm doing is w   a        y
> out there!

If you are the one user, why do you expect a project to spend
thousands of hours ensuring something is not broken for you?
Especially since you claim, it is very different from what "most coder
types" use/do. Again, all I am hearing is entitlement, and honestly if
I were the maintainer of that project, I would point out that no one
is forcing you to use my project, and no one is stopping you from  (or
paying someone to) contributing code to the project to take care of
your use case. If there is something out there that is better, use it.

> > FWIW, reportbug is *NOT* monitoring your system. It is just populating
> > your bug report with almost everything the maintainer would ask you up
> > first. Such as, are you on the latest package? Can you test with the
> > latest package? Has your bug already been reported? If so, can we add
> > to that report? Are you running the originally shipped package or
> > doing something custom?
> >
> Interesting - - - - the one thing that you don't mention and that I think
> might be the case here is that the actual bug may be a specific confluence
> of things. So even with a complete listing of all of what you have - - - - the
> actual problem still isn't visible. I spent a few hours reading through files
> in /var/log/  and haven't been able to find anything. Which is why I was
> asking for assistance in where to ask. (The assumption seems to be
> that I don't have any idea - - - - and maybe I don't . . . .   .)

No. The assumption here is you are expecting free support on your
terms. We have pointed out multiple ways, pointed out the falsehoods
in your statements. Again, all the steps I listed in my earlier note
are what just about any maintainer is going to ask you to do before
even thinking about your problem. Once we know you are on the latest,
and the issue you have is not fixed, then we try fixing it. Because
let's be real, if it is already fixed, why should I fix it again?
Again, you are NOT going to get support on your terms. If you want it
that way, pay someone and then you get that right (and maybe even then
not).

Dhaval