[GTALUG] micro controllers

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:34:27 EST 2021

It depends on what kind of connectivity do you need, and how fault tolerant
you have to be.

If you need mostly wifi/bluetooth, there's a very nice line of
microcontrollers: ESP32. They have a lot of variants, so you can find the
one you want.
If you need IO pins, Arduino is the way to go. They too have lots of
variants, with more pins, less pins, large, small, and they are very easy
to program.
If you need processing power, the RasPi variants are the ones you should
use. They run Linux, they have beefy processors (for an embedded platform),
lots of RAM, and are accessible too.
STM have some industrial-grade microcontrollers too, and I believe you can
program them with C. I have a STM Discovery in a drawer somewhere...

Fault tolerance can be achieved using more than one board, and depending on
the equipment you are controlling, you can use some combination of OR-gates
or counters to define if you are activating it or not. As the boards are
cheap, it won't be much expensive having 4 Arduinos giving the same input.

Mauro
https://www.maurosouza.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.