[GTALUG] 40" 4k Philips Monitor for $699.95 at BestBuy, Jun. 8 and 9 only

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jun 9 14:09:27 EDT 2016

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>

| I assume you mean this:
|
| http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-4k-uhd-60hz-3ms-gtg-va-led-monitor-bdm4065uc-silver-black-bdm4065uc/10381634.aspx

Thanks for posting the link.  The ad I got said that this was a
two-deay sale.  I think that today is the last day.

| Is there any practical way to drive this from a Linux-based laptop
| that doesn't currently have an appropriate video card / output?  (I
| don't consider "buy a new computer" to be a helpful answer: I'll be
| ready to do that in about 18 months.  But I'll understand if the
| correct answer is "no."  :-)

I'm OK with 30Hz.  I better be, since that's what I've got.

Your ASUS-ZenBook-UX305CA-UHM4T ultrabook can drive my monitor
(UltraHD at 30Hz, through HDMI).  I know because I tested the same
model here.  I just checked again (Fedora 23).  It uses the integrated
GPU of the Intel Core m3-6y30.

I just now tested my Lenovo Yog 2 pro, and it could also do UltraHD at
30Hz through HDMI.  That has a two-generations-older intel processor's
integrated GPU (i5-4200u).

It is kind of neat having a 3200x1800 notebook display PLUS a
3840x2160 monitor at the same time.  On the other hand, appropirate scaling
for the two displays is quite different (13.3" vs 39" for
not-too-different pixel counts).  I haven't tried to scale two
displays on one desktop differently.