[GTALUG] OpenStreetMap links from the other night

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri May 15 02:24:34 UTC 2015

Hi all — thanks so much for coming out the other night. Thanks to Scott,
Myles and the cast of 1000_2 s who make GTALUG happen.

Rather than post my presentation, which was kind of light on detail, I
thought I'd post some of the most useful but harder-to-remember links I
brought up:

 1. ‘The Map’ — http://www.openstreetmap.org  . It supports routing now,
    too.
 2. QGIS, an open GIS manager. It's rather good — http://qgis.org/
 3. The OSM Wiki; ridiculously complete documentation:
    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/
 4. OSM Help Stack Exchange-style question/answer:
    https://help.openstreetmap.org/
 5. All of the OSM stats! — https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stats
 6. Toronto map growth animation —
    http://www.geofabrik.de/gallery/history/index.html#toronto
 7. Crowdsourced geocoding (+ lawsuit from Canada Post) —
    http://geocoder.ca/
 8. Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL) —
    http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/
 9. Canada’s new Open Government portal — http://open.canada.ca
    related: Toronto Open Data — http://toronto.ca/open
10. CIPPIC Open Licensing Project (CLIP) — http://clipol.org/
11. Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team [HOT] — http://hotosm.org/
12. OpenCycleMap —
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/43.6666/-79.3785&layers=C
13. *The rather wonderful /uMap/* — https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/

uMap might be a decent way of mapping out some dinner choices pre GTALUG
meetings.

There's a monthly OSM Meetup, and also #maptime, the web mapping meetup.
Both are linked here: http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/

Best Wishes, and it was great to meet you all again,
 Stewart

(who, not surprisingly, is on OpenStreetMap as scruss
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/scruss>.)