[GTALUG] Thinkpad choices today?

Jason Shaw grazer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:18:18 UTC 2014

I have a first gen X1 Carbon and love it.  It does have the usual downsides
of most ultrabooks; soldered on ram and non-standard drive, but has been
rock solid.  It has a chiclet style keyboard, trackpoint, 3 physical mouse
buttons, 1400x900 resolution on a 14" screen, on a machine that's basically
the size of a MacBook Air 13".  Linux just works out of the box.

The major issue is that the current generation has the worst keyboard
layout I've ever seen.  The Function keys are now a "smart screen" that
dynamically change to "useful" keys based on what tasks you are doing.
Even worse though is the physical keyboard layout. I'll let the picture
speak for itself:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/thinkpad-x1-carbon-keyboard.jpg

I know that the X240 series are still "proper" ThinkPads in that they are
easily serviceable and use standard RAM and drives, but have no personal
experience with them.

Good luck!
-jason